The 1730 and 1774 Marblehead Riots Against Smallpox Inoculation

Marblehead a century or so after the riots

Marblehead a century or so after the riots

In 1730, the fishing village of Marblehead, Mass., did everything it could to ward off the dread and loathsome smallpox disease then raging in Boston – everything, that is, except smallpox inoculation.

Instead, they rioted against the practice. And then they did it again 43 years later.

A prominent Salem minister named Edward Holyoke was indirectly responsible for the first riot by proselytizing for smallpox inoculation. Decades later, his son, Dr. Edward Augustus Holyoke, began the successful inoculation of hundreds of patients against the disease in nearby Salem. But not before the Marbleheaders had another riot.

The Speckled Monster

northern lights cotton matherSmallpox was the most feared disease in the American colonies. ‘The Speckled Monster’ killed as many as 30 percent of its victims, and survivors could be left blinded and scarred.

Boston’s smallpox epidemic of 1721 created the worst public health crisis of the 18th century. It caused three-fourths of all deaths in the town that year.

Rev. Cotton Mather was convinced inoculation was the way to prevent the disease. He practiced it, and he argued passionately for it. A physician, William Douglass, argued just as passionately against it. Douglass and most of the public believed inoculation would make the disease spread faster.

Inoculation involved deliberately infecting a person with smallpox in his bloodstream so that he could suffer a mild form of the disease to stimulate his immune system to avoid infection later.

Edward Holyoke was president of Harvard College and pastor of the Second Church of Marblehead. He submitted to inoculation in 1721 and survived.

Fearful Ravages

Edward Holyoke

Edward Holyoke

In May of 1730, word reached Marblehead that smallpox was raging in Boston. The townspeople were agitated almost to the point of frenzy. Citizens voted to build a fence with a locked gate across the road into town, and four men were stationed there with orders to restrain all strangers from Boston. The watch was kept on 24 hours a day for two months. African Americans, Indians and slaves had a nine o'clock curfew.

In October, a young Marblehead woman named Hannah Waters came down with smallpox.

Edward Holyoke advocated for inoculation, as did his influential parishioners: Richard Dana, Justice of the Peace Stephen Minot, merchant John Tasker and trader Joseph Blaney.

The townspeople were skeptical. They believed God, not man, should decide who lived and died. They also knew there wasn’t enough money to inoculate everyone, only the wealthiest citizens. At Town Meeting on Oct. 12, 1720, they voted that the practice should be banned unless everyone in town could be inoculated.

Rumors spread that some people – like Stephen Minot – planned to openly defy the ban. Emotions ran high. A mob formed, and 50 armed men threatened to tear down the homes of Dana and Minot.

“A great mob raised in this town,” wrote Holyoke in his diary on December 10th.

The rioters had public sympathy on their side, and only a handful were charged with rioting.

But the disease spread from house to house, afflicting nearly every family in town. Businesses closed, the ferry to Salem stopped running and people fled Marblehead. All loose dogs were killed.

"The disease continued its fearful ravages till late in the summer of 1731, and gathered its victims with an unsparing hand," wrote Samuel Roads in 1881. "Rich and poor, old and young, the learned and the unlettered were alike afflicted by this impartial agent of death."

History Repeats Itself

Years later, Edward Holyoke’s son, Edward Augustus Holyoke, became a physician and an advocate of smallpox inoculation. He, too, went to Boston to be inoculated and took careful notes of how the procedure was carried out.

In June 1773, a smallpox epidemic again struck Marblehead. Two months later the town debated building a public inoculation hospital on one of the islands in the harbor.

The proposal failed, but the town did permit four prominent citizens to build a private hospital on Cat Island. They were John Glover, his brother Jonathan Glover, Azor Orne and Elbridge Gerry. They bought Cat Island on Sept. 2, 1773 and began building the hospital. Three groups of patients were inoculated during the last three months of the year. Most survived, but a few died.

Cat Island today (now called Childrens Island)

Cat Island today (now called Childrens Island)

The furious townspeople began rioting for several days. They blackened their faces, burned a small boat that brought supplies to the hospital and broke the windows of the proprietors’ homes.

In January, four Marbleheaders were caught stealing contaminated clothing from Cat Island, presumably to spread the epidemic and discredit the hospital.

The next day they were tarred and feathered, placed in a cart and exhibited through all the main streets of Marblehead, then taken to Salem followed by a procession of men and boys marching to the music of five drums and a fife.

Twenty-two cases of smallpox broke out, and the inflamed Marbleheaders threatened to lynch the proprietors. John Glover was said to have placed two small artillery pieces in the front rooms of his house.

'Jail Broke open'

Edward Augustus Holyoke

Edward Augustus Holyoke

The owners agreed to close the hospital. But on Jan. 25, 1774, about 20 heavily disguised Marbleheaders sneaked onto the island and burned down the hospital. Two suspects were arrested Feb. 25 on a fishing vessel in Marblehead Harbor, and taken to Salem jail.

“Jail Broke open,” noted Edward Augustus Holyoke’s wife in her diary.

A large number of Marbleheaders marched to Salem and surrounded the jail. At the signal the doors were broken open, the jailers overpowered and the prisoners freed to be carried home in triumph. Several days later the sheriff gathered 500 citizens to march to Marblehead and recapture his prisoners. The Marblheaders organized a mob equally as large. At that point, the hospital owners decided to abandon the prosecution and the sheriff disbanded his posse.

A few years later, Edward Augustus Holyoke took charge of the  a smallpox hospital in Salem. He inoculated 600 patients, and the disease never took hold in the town.

With thanks to The History and Traditions of Marblehead by Samuel Roads.



  1. Sherry Brandsema

    Sherry Brandsema

    February 5, 2015 at 10:04 am

    I had an ancestor named for her aunt who died in CT of a smallpox inoculation about this time.

  2. America In Play

    America In Play

    February 5, 2015 at 12:11 pm


  3. Bruce Herbst

    Bruce Herbst

    February 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm

    My friends are so smart although that might not be the only reason I like them!

  4. Sandy Wilkes

    Sandy Wilkes

    February 5, 2015 at 2:45 pm

    This story is really fascinating. I always thought that smallpox vaccinations were done with cowpox.

    • Sherry Brandsema

      Sherry Brandsema

      February 6, 2015 at 1:36 pm

      I think it was discovered with cowpox. Just watched a movie about royal danish family and their small pox vaccinations were part of the “action” abt 1766

  5. Pingback: George Washington Breaks Up a Snowball Fight at Harvard - New England Historical Society

  6. Pingback: The Great Throat Distemper of 1735 - New England Historical Society

  7. Pingback: Jason Fairbanks Had Two Faces. One Killed Eliza Fales. - New England Historical Society

  8. Pingback: The Macabre: The Dank, Dark, Splendid Side of Things – RevolutionaryWIR

  9. Pingback: The Macabre: The Dank, Dark, Splendid Side of Things – PART 1 – Revolutionary WIR

  10. Pingback: Philip Ashton Escapes Pirates and Miraculously Survives on a Deserted Island - New England Historical Society

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

For Members

To Top