These Memorial Day photos of Southington, Conn., were taken by Fenno Jacobs during World War II for the Office of War Information. The town hall is on the lower left in this photo. They were used as wartime propaganda.
Jacobs was part of a team of photographers who spent the month in the town taking pictures of residents at work and at leisure. The photos were compiled into a booklet designed to show friends and enemies in Europe the traditions and values of typical American families. Thousands of copies were dropped over Europe from military planes during the Nazi occupation.
Southington, which is south of Hartford, was first settled in 1689 and was known as South Farmington, then Southington.
In 1781, Gen. Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, Comte de Rochambeau, and his troops camped in the Marion section of Southington. Rochambeau and his officers were entertained at the Asa Barnes Tavern, which stands to this day.
Southington was a farming community until the 19th century, when it developed as a manufacturing center. German, Polish and Italian immigrants came to work in the mills.
After World War II, Southington became a bedroom community and the population grew to over 42,000 people today.
This story was updated from the 2013 version.